It was sometime around 1802 to 1804 James (John) Ditto came around the Great Bend of the Tennessee River and the point of Chickasaw Island (now Hobbs Island). He landed among friendly Chickasaw Indians in the area known as the Chickasaw Old Fields today’s Ditto Landing. Ditto established a trading post in 1805 and a ferry in 1807 the same ferry that transported Andrew Jackson and Davy Crockett across the Tennessee River on their way to the Creek Indian War.
Around 1824, this area became known as Whitesburg, named for James White, a salt trader. Ditto Landing became one of the first inland ports of entry for the United States, a hub of trade and economic activity for the Huntsville area into the 1840’s.